Tuesday 23 September 2014

On Assignment Location - Cardiff.

Cardiff is a city close to my heart, the first urban landscape that was introduced to me growing up in Bridgend. Early memories include the building site at the Arms Park as the imposing Millenium Stadium was being built. Even in the short time that I have known the city it has experienced major investment to modernise the city centre and even the surrounding areas including Cardiff Bay, which home to a number of interesting landmarks that have stood since it's use as a hub for exporting coal, but also modern icons such as the Senedd & Millennium Centre.

A city like Cardiff will be an interesting location, recently hosting the NATO summit shows its attraction and I think there are a number of diverse culture that can be seen which is typical of many cities across the UK, typically being home to thousands of students every year, as well as a location for many Eastern European cultures. The referendum in Scotland regarding it's Independence from the United Kingdom has also sparked thoughts of Welsh Independence in the future, Cardiff as the capital would take centre stage.

'Cardiff After Dark' is a photography book that I enjoyed very much with humorous images taken in some tough night time situations. A good adaptation would be to feature locations such as Chippy Lane.
I would like my assignment to be sports based, I have a few initial ideas in Cardiff that could work out:
  • Recently Cardiff has hosted the UEFA Super Cup which itself starred our very own Gareth Bale, which could be the basis of a project that explores his roots growing up in Cardiff and photographing the places where he played and the people who steered him along this incredible journey.
  • I have been wanting to develop my portfolio of different sports and after looking at 'Boxing' by Larry Fink, with other work from Neil Leifer & Al Satterwhite, I think documenting the legacy of Welsh star Joe Calzaghe would make a good project at his boxing club in Newbridge. Not located in Cardiff however but I could locate a gym that is.
  • Recently Cardiff City FC owner Vincent Tan changed the clubs colours which angered fans, I could document the areas around the Cardiff City Stadium (Canton & Grangetown) and showing the match day atmosphere on the streets to see if the 'Bluebird' still survives.

No comments:

Post a Comment